The Harrington School House was built in the 1920's. It served as the main educational structure for Grades 1-7 in the African American Communities until the sixties. It was converted and used as a daycare from 1968-1970.
Many of the residents were former slaves who had worked for the Coupers and the Goulds. The settlement land was formerly property of the Demere family. Census data from 1900, 1910 and 1920 reveal a vital African American Community of sawmill workers and carpenters. Many of the children were listed as "at school". Many of the residents could read and write.
The 1974 movie Conrack starring Jon Voight was filmed on SSI at Harrington School. Based on Pat Conroy's book The ...Read Full Post →